Monday, November 11, 2013

What is your business?

The past few weeks have been particularly busy at work and school. Along with many of my classmates and colleagues there comes a point in a busy cycle where it seems like there are just not enough hours in the day. Too many emails read, phone calls to make, and projects to complete.

A little over a week ago one of my employees was in town for an afternoon (for those who do not know, I manage a team of nine leadership consultants who are bar-non the best in the industry). Cheerfully he inquired about my ability to grab lunch with him. In my mind I tried to come up with an excuse to skip the lunch and continue to work on "who knows what" project. It wasn't for a lack of interest in him but rather a selfish thought that my work was more pressing than a social lunch.

As a I pondered the invite for a moment I reminded myself the reason I took this job was because I enjoyed working with this team of consultants. I decided the phone could take a rest and I could take an hour and grab some pizza with a guy who just spent eight hours in the car to get to his next assignment.

It turned out to be the best decision I made that week. He and I had a great discussion about work, life, and travel. I returned to my desk later that afternoon refreshed and ready to mow down my "to-do" list.

When I ask the question: "what is your business?" I already know the answer. Your business is people - the same as mine. Sure, I may work for a non-profit and you may sell the greatest widgets ever made, but on the other end of both of our work is a person who is more than an employee or a client.

Last week I was reminded of the power of investing in a relationship simply by giving my time. Hopefully you will have the same opportunity this week.

-Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment